Monday 29 September 2008

Two Projects - "Christmas" and "Something Funny"

The 25th of September marked the start of another month in the countdown to Christmas and time once again for Fab's Big Christmas Challenge. This month the nutter's challenge would be to make nine Christmas cards. I might even make that many but most of them will be quickie cards with using stuff like, dare I say it "peel-offs" I doubt if I will be adding them to my blog or to the challenge. Whew, OK I hope nobody noticed that shame-faced admission! Anyhow here is my entry for the September's challenge, but who knows, I might manage to make another 8 cards worth blogging about before the 25th of October comes around.

This one was stamped using a lovely Christmas Wreath stamp from Hearth and Home themeplate by Elusive Images. I stamped and embossed the wreath in gold, painted it with Twinkling H2Os, added a touch of red Stickles Glitter on the holly berries and some red Sakura Glaze pen over the bow to change the colour and texture of the bow when compared to the colour of the poinsettia leaves. With my wreath all coloured I decided it would be nict to cut it out. This was mounted onto a circle of gold mirror card with foam pads and then that was mounted onto my card. The card itself is a from some cream pearlised card I bought in the Paper Mill Shop and cut to a 5 inch square card. I covered this with a lovely paper from the Artylicious Season's Greetings CD leaving just a border of the cream card showing and then added some gold strip peel-off borders round the edges of the paper. More foam pads were used to mount the gold circle of card onto this for more dimension and as a finishing touch added a narrow bow of red organza ribbon to provide more contrast with the green design on the paper.

My other project was to make "Something Funny" for Florries Weekly ATC challenge on Craft Swap forum. I have a small set of mini clear stamps by Inkadinkadoo which are definately meant to be humourous so I thought this was the ideal project for giving these stamps and outing. The actual text on the stamps says "I gave up coffee, sex and chocolate" but as I had decided to make a chocolate bar for my background I only stamped the bit about chocolate.

The chocolate bar was made by inking a white ATC size piece of card with some brown ink from a Petal Point ink pad then I used the box making side of my score board to score grooves into the card to form a grid. I used the edge of the same ink pad to darken the brown colour in the grooves so as to create the appearance of more depth and a chunkier bar of chocolate. The stamps were just stamped onto some pink card with Adirondack dye in (Espresso), cut out and adhered to the chocolate bar background with foam pads.

Edit : Perhaps I ough to own up and say my comments about peel-offs were meant to be rather toungue in cheek. I do use them, mostly I use borders and/or corners, also sentiements. There are infact both a gold border peel-offs and a "Merry Christmas" sentiment on the Christmas Wreath card.

8 comments:

  1. LOL! Great ATC, thanks for explaining the background technique.

    The EL card is just sumptuous.
    Nothing wrong with using the odd peel-off, I won't tell the peel-off police if you won't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be shocked to hear me say this, but there IS a place for peel offs in even the most adventurous card making. I have to say I tend to stick to borders and corners though, but sometimes it's just what a card needs.

    Gorgeous card - as usual!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVELY card! I don't know who sells peel-offs here. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really lovely Christmas card Phree! you always put so much into your work...and it is a pleasure to be able to view your artwork. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phree, it's lovely to find your great blog and thanks for the comment you left for me earlier which is much appreciated. Fabulous ATC and a brilliant idea to have a choccy bar as the background! I can totally empathise with the sentiment lol! Love your Christmas card too which is so festive. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning Christmas card and that chocolate bar doggie card is phenom ! I like them both. TFS X Fab

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your wreath is wonderful and the gold mirror cardstock behind it really makes it pop. The funny card is too cute and so true if you are me! I hope everything came along okay with your bumped face.

    ReplyDelete