Friday, 30 July 2010
The finished image was mounted onto black card which I embellished with some kitchen twine that had been grunged up to look like old dirty ropes from a sailing ship. I did this by using just about every shade of brown distress ink I own, from Frayed Burlap to Brushed Corduroy! It was easy enough to do, just splodge the brown inks onto a craft sheet, spritz liberally with water then roll and scrunch the peice of twine around in the inky puddle so it soaks in the inky water. Let it dry then repeat as needed to darken. Once the twine was nearly dry I made the browny shades more uneven by smudging a little ink directly from the ink pads onto the twine and lightly spritzing so as to make the inky smudge bleed into the twine more - it bleeds better if the twine is still a little damp when you do this. The knots were tied using an authentic sailors knot - in this case a figure of eight knot. I wanted the knots to be the Real MaCoy, so I did some research online and found this web site with some great instructions on how to try proper sailors knots. Just click on any of those knots and an animated page opens that shows how to tie the knot.
Finally my background layer - once again I turned to my Distress Inks in assorted shades of brown and used the wrinkle free technique to create the background. Once this was dry I overstamped with Versamark using an anchor image from the Seashell Collage themeplate and dusted this with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls then very lightly spritzed with water to set the Perfect Pearls. The edges were treated in the same way as the edges of the main image - distressed with the blade of my scissors, a little ink blended with Cut 'n' Dry foam, and smudgy gold embossing. The whole thing is mounted onto black card from the same stock I used to mat under the main image.
If you got this far, sorry it's such a long post, but I wanted to share how I made this card because I had a lot of fun making it!